Thursday, May 9, 2013

"I'm a ballerina going across the street" Savoring the ordinary :)




"Patience helps us to use, rather than protest, these seeming flat periods of life, becoming filled with quiet wonder over the past and with anticipation for that which may lie ahead, instead of demeaning the particular flatness through which we may be passing at the time.
We should savor even the seemingly ordinary times, for life cannot be made up of all kettledrums and crashing cymbals. There must be some flutes and violins. Living cannot be all crescendo; there must be some counterpoint." Elder Maxwell Patience
I have been searching for words, for something to click in my brain and help me out of  this funk. These were the words I was searching for.     
I'm a in a "flat period" in life right now. I'm anxiously awaiting the next step and it's not coming. It's hard for me to not obsess over things so not having an immediate plan for the next steps/stage in life has been at the forefront of my mind for quite sometime. And it's annoying. I jump around, in my mind, to all different options and possibilities but inevitably come to the same conclusion every time,  I'll just wait and see if...will happen then I'll make a decision. Not fun. Not the way I like to live.
Coming across this talk was just what I needed. I needed the reminder that there is SO much beauty, love, pleasure, happiness and satisfaction where I am in life currently and I don't want to waste a second of it being sad that is isn't different.
I never looked at my wishing or wanting more as demeaning what I currently have, but that's exactly that it is! And would I EVER demean my amazing husband or my precious Summer? Never. They mean the world to me. They bring me such love, and happiness and more smiles than anything else in my life. So why would I demean the life I'm living with them?
I am so thankful for Elder Maxwell's words and for being guided to read them. I needed them. They are truly a wake up call and I feel different inside for having read them. I feel my whole perspective has changed.
Of course I still want that next stage in life. Of course I want a bigger family. But that want doesn't hold a candle to what I already have. And I am so glad to have finally realized this!  
What's not to savor in this? Here's a nice little peak into life with Summer.  She sings everything, all the time. It's hilarious! Oh, and the video is filmed the wrong direction because if I turn my phone sideways Summer immediately knows I'm either filming or taking a pic and all cuteness stops! Enjoy :)

5 comments:

Mom said...

Bless your heart! You never cease to amaze me! I love you! Enjoy you summer! (pun intended!)

Julie said...

Ady, I so love and admire you. You are at a wonderful stage of life and I am so happy that you were reminded of the true beauty of just what you have now.

Julie said...

Plus, thanks for sharing Summer and her antics. I love my little ballerina!

The Mathews Family said...

That is hilarious! I love that she keeps backing up... going forward... stopping to hit those higher notes... back up some more... Hilarious!

And I love those words. It is definitely food for thought. Thanks for posting them. You continue to inspire me and I wish I was sitting in that patio swing with you so that we could chat and catch up. Miss you guys!

-Jessica

likeschocolate said...

Thank you for sharing this! Just what I needed today.