Tuesday, January 25, 2011

so tell me, what works for you?

So here I am, about 5 months post baby and I am still carrying around some extra weight that I don't normally have and I want to get rid of it! I have a closet full of clothes that are just waiting for me to fit into! Now, I must say that I haven't been the best at exercising ever really. For the most part I've been about the same size my whole adult life and I was pretty happy with it, so beyond being active doing things I enjoy I haven't really had much of an exercise routine in my life.

Now that's gotta change.  I'm looking to shed the extra 5 or so lbs that haven't come off on their own so I can get back into my normal size. That's my goal! And I need some help!  Here's what's going on for me. If you have any ideas of what may help please share!

 Yesterday I tried going to the gym for a water aerobics class at 9 am.
         Problem: Timing. Summer has put herself on a fantastic schedule including a marathon morning nap (usually between 2-3 hours, and it usually starts right around 9). Yesterday I took her to the kid club and the ladies told me she didn't sleep at all. So I take her home, feed her and she's off to sleep. She slept well for that nap and then the rest of the day was way off- crying, wouldn't sleep, generally not her usual happy self- I'm used to her happy self and would like to keep her that way!
      Side Note: Summer's schedule is something like this- wake up at 7:30/8- eat and awake time, 9/9:30 nap til 11:30/12, then up and eat, then back to sleep around 1/1:30pm up and eat around 3:30/4pm then awake time til bed at about 6:30.  That leaves 2 short awake time intervals during the day and a longer one in the late afternoon (when I usually get dinner going etc.) Oh and she's decided that she really doesn't like sleeping anywhere besides her crib.

I feel like there's little awake time for her during the day for me to get to the gym, work out, and get her home all during that time. And then the class I like is at 9 meaning if I go at a different time I'd have to work out on my own.

So my question is, what do you do? Do videos at home? Run with a stroller? Go in the evenings when hubby can stay with baby? What works for you? Also, how do you stay motivated? I know that I want to be able to wear my closet full of clothes again, but I think I get bored with the work outs I've done. Looking at my schedule I feel like the best option for me would be to work out at home while she's sleeping, because I've got a lot of that time I can use. But then I often don't feel like actually doing it. That's where I need help on motivation I guess. Well, thanks for any of your answers. I appreciate them! Happy working out to you!

10 comments:

Sue said...

I too am not very good at working out. After I had Benson I did a lot of walking (bad knees so I cant jog) either during awake time or as a family after dinner. Also, sometimes I would do stuff on our Wii Fit. It might be easier for you to work out before she wakes up or after she asleep/once Thomas is home. Try different things and see what works best for you and Summer. I'd be interested in a walking group if we found a good trail nearby. :)

RyandJen said...

I know most people think it is all about working out, but it is more about what you are eating. If you can cut out sugar and eat 6 small meals a day (every 2-3 hours) with protein and a little bit of carbs, it will change your metabolism. I bet you look great, though. Sometimes it doesn't matter what you do if you are nursing. Some women hold on to that last 5-10 lbs until they are done. Good luck.

Terry & Marissa said...

I ditto the walking group idea.

Traci said...

I like to put the kids in the jogging stroller. We have a Chariot and when my youngest was smaller, we were able to buy a baby supporter made by Chariot to go in it so that the baby could ride too. Signing up for races and having a specific training schedule keeps me motivated because I know that need to be ready for the race. I have also done videos at home. I got a 10 minute Solutions DVD from Special K boxes (but I'm pretty sure it's a line you can buy elsewhere) and I really like that DVD because it is a set of six, 10 minute workouts. You can just do one or do them all according to your time and whims.

Michelle Michel said...

I would wake up feed Chloe and go running 1st thing. That way it doesn't interrupt her nap and while I put her down for morning nap I can get showered and dressed. I am still trying to lose those last few lbs too. It's so hard. The last 10 are hardest to lose. Keep it up!

Amanda and Steve said...

My routine is wake up, nurse McKay, go jogging/speed walking with the stroller (with a 10 lb dumbbell in the bottom for more resistance), feed M breakfast, then put him down for a morning nap. While he's napping I sometimes (I should do more) work with free weights using a video. If the weather is rainy or too cold, I do the weights during his nap or go in the afternoon if the weather and my schedule allows it. When I was taking a spinning class, I learned something that really opened my eyes. I don't have to bust my backside and get my heart rate soaring and gasp for breath in order to burn fat. I just need to keep my heart rate in the target zone. If I let it get to high (i.e. gasping for breath), I'm not burning fat and, of course, it's too low then I'm not either. So what I usually do is jog to get my heart rate up then speed walk and it usually stays where it needs to be. If it starts to get too low (I have a heart rate monitor but you can just count it yourself), I jog to get it back up. That way I am saving my joints by not running as much. You can read more about it and get your target heart rate at http://www.spinning.com/newsletter-ride-on/january09_1.html and http://www.spinning.com/images/Target_Heart.pdf

Heather K. said...

Have you thought of trying Weight Watchers? I have been on it and lost a lot of weight on it. As for working out, I never found much time to do it unless I went first thing in the morning (like 5am). I lost weight just eating right and staying in my limit and didn't work out much.

Vanessa said...

I've been thinking that I need to start working out too. I have some more weight I'd like to lose and I need to get back into shape before going on vacations this summer where we will be hiking, walking, and doing a lot of physical activities. But I have absolutely NO motivation unless I am working out WITH someone. So

I vote YES to the walking group!

Karen and Merrill said...

I work out at home usually and I like to rotate things so I don't get bored. I have an aerobic step video that I use some days, I jump rope other days (while watching food network or a movie), and if it's nice outside then I take a walk/jog while Maya's awake. Sometimes if things work out Merrill will stay home while I go outside for a jog, but that's rare. I also like to do toning things as well as cardio (like crunches, push-ups) I just got a yoga book at the library, so I'm gonna check some of that out. With motivation, I'm not sure what to tell you...because I still struggle to make all that I just wrote above happen with consistency. I went on a walk yesterday, and did nothing today :) Sometimes if I feel like I don't have time for a full work out I at least try to do some crunches or stretch. Good luck with your goal! You can do it!!

Lisa said...

If you don't mind spending a little money, I go to the YMCA. They have great ladies who watch your kids for you. Kaelyn LOVES it. Then, I'll go work out just to get a break from the kids. They have child watch from 9am till 12:30 and then after 4pm. They have a Zumba class that I love, but it's at 9am. That time doesn't work well for me, either.