Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Quick update after a long but peaceful day

Hey everyone. I just wanted to give a quick update and a little more clarification on some of the stuff I said yesterday. I guess I didn't really get in to much detail about the procedure that was preformed yesterday. Basically it was an exploratory operation to check out the anatomy of Cali's heart, as well as a chance to go in and try to expand the size of the atrial septum. The atrial septum is a link between the left and right sides of the heart that is supposed to allow blood to flow. Cali's was majorly restricted. So the long and difficult part of the surgery was to use a catheter to find the atrial septum and increase the opening by inflating a balloon on the catheter. As I said yesterday that was successful. After a few echos today it looks like the opening is standing its ground, so that is great.

Another part of the operation was to check out the pulmonary veins because they didn't look right in the echo. It was confirmed that the veins are somewhat anomalous, which will make the surgeries a little more complicated, especially the second one that Cali will have in a few months.

Another risk for babies with these particular problems is that the lungs do not develop enough. If that does occur then even with surgery, the lungs usually can't support the body. Fortunately Cali's lungs look great and this doesn't seem to be a problem with her.

Today she was doing very well. Her stats stayed good today and she is breathing really well. The cardiologists will meet tomorrow morning during their rounds and then they will meet with the surgeons Wednesday and they will decide of Cali is eligible for the surgery and when it will take place. The surgery could be as early as Wednesday or later on in the week.

I also have to leave an extremely large shout out to someone we met today named Jenn. She was a volunteer photographer for the "Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep" organization. What the group does is take pictures of children with very serious health issues who have a relatively risk of not surviving. She came and took some pictures of Cali, Adrienne and me and she was amazing. She has such a talent and got some great shots. We are excited to get the pictures so we can share them with everyone.

Well, that's all I have in me tonight. Thanks again for all of the prayers. We couldn't have gotten to where we are tonight without them.

--Thomas

8 comments:

The Taylors said...

So glad things went well. Oh that is so sweet you got her photo's done. Praying thing continue to go smoothly! How is Mommy doing? Just wondering it is allot to handle at once. Good Luck!

Becca said...

Hey Thomas! I just read about that organization yesterday in our newspaper! SO GREAT that things like that exist! We are praying for you!!!

Michelle Michel said...

I am glad things are looking good. Hang in there and we are still praying for you!

The Richards Family said...

So happy that things are going well. We will continue to pray for Little Cali and your family!

Janae Walker said...

I'm glad that things have gone relatively well for you little girl! We will keep praying for her! She was almost born on the perfect day (September 4th is my birthday)! Just hang in there, Orrock family...

Cason Clan said...

We are so greatfull for that organization also. They came to do pictures for our third daughter. Our fourth has severe cardiomyopathy, coarch of the aorta, and bicuspid aortic valve. We know all about scary surgeries and such. Hope all continues to go well. Good Luck with everything.

carolyn q said...

I was so glad that I was able to meet with you today at PCMC. You guys are amazing and I wished I could have stayed longer to visit.
I know tomorrow is a big day, so hopefully you will be able to get some sleep tonight so you can face tomorrow with great strength.
(Hugs)

nennermommy said...

You have me in tears!!!! I am reading all of your post and then you wrote about me.... You are so very welcome!!! I look so forward to many more pictures with Cali! Thank you so much for letting me adore her sweet face :) YOu are always in my prayers! XOXOXO