Saturday, November 8, 2008

Look at the good the LDS church has done!

I've been working on a talk that I will be giving in church tomorrow and while on the LDS.org statistical page I found the following:

Countries Receiving Humanitarian Aid Since 1985: 165
Humanitarian Cash Donations Since 1985: $259.8 million
Value of Humanitarian Material Assistance Since 1985: $750.9 million
Welfare Service Missionaries: 3,974

With all that has been talked about in the last few weeks about the LDS church(and especially the last few days) I feel so grateful to have stumbled up on this, to read, and to remind myself of all that the church I belong to has done for good for this world. Yes we take a stand on moral issues, that may be hard for some to understand, but we also care for all people, we are often the first to arrive and the last to leave when there is a natural disaster. We have donated over $100,000,000 (that 100 MILLION!) to answer the call to serve. "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren ye have done it unto me."

In these hard times I often feel the call to do more. To give more. Even when it's difficult to give money, there is always something we have that we can give. Right now I am able to give my time. 6 hours a week to serving in the House of the Lord. But as Thanksgiving is coming up I truly feel the need to give back to the community I live in. It is the BEST way to show our appreciation for what we have, to give to others. I am grateful that my church is a stellar example in this, and I am proud to be a member of such a giving organization!

No comments: